Saturday, January 30, 2010

Staring at the Golden Gate Bridge

Can be a life consuming activity, especially when you wake up in a room with two sides of the perimeter made of glass and one of the sides with a mirror showing the bridge outside. I thought I had woken up in heaven, when the ceiling was bright blue and before sleeping, had shown me in the moon. There are boats passing by, sailboats, ferry boats. It rises majestically as the fog horn blows its whistle. The ocean waves crash up against it. The mountains peek through the fog adjacent to the bridge. The fog passes over the house, because of its proximity to the ocean.
I'm not dreaming, I'm on a spiritual retreat. One that involved me listening to God's voice this week instead of fulfilling my list of shoulds and responsibilities. It was hard to hear middle schoolers disappointed with my decision not to go skiing, but I knew that I needed a weekend alone, to recover, to reset, refocus, spend time with God. Shut the door and not be able to hear the people talking on the other side. I'm about to go experience God in a new way, one that involves the City by the Bay, but not in the way that I've known it to be so far- chaotic, full of hustle and bustle, sounds and smells. This will be the day that I stay by the ocean and think in awe about God and who He is to me and those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment