Monday, August 24, 2009

Jeux d'enfants

Last week, I realized that I don't want to be a full-time nanny. Nor am I ready to become a parent and dress, feed, occupy children all day/everyday. It's different being with them as their friend after being their teacher; they like to think that the boundaries don't exist any more.
I also remembered how much I liked pearler-beading, painting-by-number, pet stuffed animals, and spontaneous dance routines. How I liked going to the movie theater on a summer afternoon to see the latest Disney classic (Ponyo didn't compare to the Little Mermaid in my opinion!)
I'm not exhausted from babysitting the way that I am from teaching. Maybe it's because I'm on my feet less, maybe because I have more freedom. It's about building relationships while teaching; babysitting seems like more of an exchange of goods, a temp-to-hire basis.
All this to say, I'm looking forward to the new school year. The scent of freshly sharpened pencils in the foggy San Francisco air. Starting a program where yes, I will one day become a teacher. Why? Is this really what I want to do for the rest of my life? I'm not sure why, but I know for right now, I've made the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment