Thursday, August 13, 2009

Another year here

I've been thinking that I've been here, in San Francisco, for almost 2 years. That today, when Maggie woke up on her birthday, that it was the second time we had celebrated together with her in our apartment. I feel like my life keeps racing by around me and I'm trying to catch up, keep up. I'm going back to school in two weeks and I'm paring things down, simplifying, delegating.
I don't want to lose track of what's going on around me, but I also want to be confident in my decision to be focused and appreciate further education. I don't want to lose the ideas that I learned while in Africa, I want to be able to keep painting, searching, creating.
I want to appreciate where I've come from and where I've been. I look at pictures from the past two years and I see young, naive people, full of life and energy. I'm older and wiser, more mature, a quarter-century old. I take care of kids. I go to Uganda. I knit. I read. I like dollar stores. I collect things I think I might use later. I have an incredible community that keeps me sane and accountable. I'm an extroverted and sensory person.
These are things I can't change, they are unique to me. I found in a book that my mom gave me last night a Dove candy wrapper that said, "Remind yourself that it's okay not to be perfect." Coincidence? I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment