Sunday, July 12, 2009

Uganda is broken

I knew that this would be hard, I knew that there would be things that I would see that would be hard to digest. I just didn't plan on being moved to tears, feeling like I was standing in front of a commercial advertising child sponsorship in Africa. When you are here, when you can see it, feel it, smell it, touch it, hear it, it feels all too real.
Visiting a general hospital in Africa is like visiting the place that people associate with dying. I was prepared that the hospital would bring out strong emotion in me, particularly the children's ward. But I didn't think that there would be this overwhelming sense of hopelessness and depression that I would feel leaving. I didn't know how to react emotionally when faced with several mothers who had just lost their fourth and fifth successive children in failed pregnancies. I didn't know how to react when there were children with such deformations from malnutrition that you couldn't even guess their age or stage in development. When one of the children vomited on my feet, I could only stare in hopelessness as the father struggled to clean it up and it remained on the floor. I could only empathize with their situation: I don't know how to make any of their situations any better without money, education, and government infrastructure.
Only one staff member was sighted during our visit there. It was one of those moments where I wished that I was an evangelical, who could reach out and share the gospel with others, cast demons out and pray for them as they accept Jesus. But, I'm not: I'm the smiling face who walks around taking pictures of the patients for them to see because many have never even had their picture taken before, nor do they know what they look like.
All of this incoming information has me on overload, trying to figure out what I can do, if anything. All I've come up with so far today is creating art based on the things that I've seen in Africa and having a gallery show to continue to support projects here. I don't want my involvement to be in-and-out, she's done. Just like San Francisco and the world today, Uganda is broken. And we need hands to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment