Friday, July 17, 2009

Today was special...

For a multitude of reasons. I can't even begin to list them all.
1) It was hot and sunny, something I don't experience in San Francisco very often.
2) I met the child, Tracy, whose boarding education I will be sponsoring. She wore a pink dress and we colored, painted, and blew bubbles all afternoon.
3) I didn't feel any anxiety over anything: where we were going, what I'll be doing when I get home, what I'm doing 20 minutes from now. I was able to just be present in the moment.
4) I got to community paint with African schoolchildren as my audience and many of my teammembers as support staff. We created an outer space themed mural on the one wall, thanks to my work at El Dorado!
5) I got to support the widows in the community by bringing souvenirs to my friends back home.
6) I had pizza for dinner, even though it wasn't comparable to Little Star.
7) I thought about the impact that my trip will have on the people at home, in California, Pennsylvania, and between.
8) I got to hear my roommate Natalie's PhD research on the social/emotional responses of the orphans here.
9) I sat on the grass after a long day and discussed community with a fellow California pastor.
10) I gave school supplies to the teachers at the primary school, and in return, got to teach their class for a few minutes time.
11) I was persuaded by the people to stay here or come back, which means they must like me...
12) I felt that God gave me some clarity about why I'm here
13) I understood what it meant for me to go back to my life anxiety-free, talking with women in their fifties about their experiences here, and how they have been changed.
14) I can trust God because the Ugandans have bolstered me with their faith and trust in God. All I heard today when I handed out supplies was, "God is so good...Amen" If only we would think the same thing when we went to the grocery store and got our necessities.
15) I got to give Laura's sponsored child her gift and I felt like my experience in San Francisco had come full circle to Africa. God has ordained all of the things in my life, I'm just along for the ride...

No comments:

Post a Comment