Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Beautiful and broken

I've gotten to the point where I've experienced so much that I don't know where to begin. I've never washed a person's feet before, yet yesterday there I was, in the middle of Africa, washing several old widows' feet. I've never seen such joy and such poverty exist in the same place. And I've never been able to amuse kids so easily, by blowing bubbles or mimicking all of their motions.
Emotionally, it's all hard to process through. Seeing a community suffer from disease and babies die because of the lack of clean water, and then see that revolutionized through the $10,150 well purchase that changes the course of the childrens' futures.
I came thinking that I had something to share here, that I could impart some wisdom. Day in and day out, God keeps teaching me that I have nothing to share but my spirit. I won't be able to communicate with the elderly lady whose feet I pedicure, but I will be able to dance with her when they start dancing their tribal rhythms. I will go to schools, see children well behaved, orderly in line, eager to listen, and not know what to say.
There's so much beauty in all of this brokenness. City Church always says the same thing about San Francisco, and I'm finally able to somewhat relinquish the responsibility for me to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment