Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tales from a 3rd grade nothing

or something, so I keep on trying to tell myself.
The one who brings in her tiger Henriette and puts him in the reading corner (but then says kids can't read with it.) And a lady on the bus said, "That tiger looks real. You must be really good at taming tigers."
Or while all of that goes on, has 2 consecutive fire drills, one after another, and doesn't even know which set of stairs to go down or where to even take the kids when that happens. The second time makes it harder, not easier, and of course, is during their recess.
Who reads Chronicles of Narnia to the kids and almost falls apart during the pivotal moment when Aslan is captured and about to be killed by the witch (it's all of that spiritual imagery, you know?)
Who has to email parents and plan field trips and put kids in groups with their chaperones and learn about Native Americans who are native to the state of California and get through all of the curriculum while still infusing creativity, critical thinking, engagement, and depth while building a community of learners.
You should see my bag at the end of these days- crumpled up advertisements (because I was trying to teach the kids critical thinking skills), uneaten lunch (when would I have time to do that?)
But for today, I left 15 minutes and went to get a Blue Bottle latte. I read an inspiring article from the NYTimes thanks to my friend Lauren and thought, this is why I'm doing this. Geoffrey Cananda says I'm not going to be good at it for at least another 3 years, even though I think I'm about to change the face of education and save the world. I want to capture my idealism and bottle it up for 5, 10, 15 years down the road when I'm struggling to stay committed but my experience speaks for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment