Sunday, November 7, 2010

A harsh reality

of living here, experiencing transition more than ever these past few months. Sometimes I try to talk myself into how living somewhere else would be easier and more ideal. I get scared that I'll be here still 20 years from now, in the same place, left behind. I couldn't find more hope in Fred Harrell's (pastor of City Church) words than I do right now:

First, I accept the reality that this city is a transient one. People stay here for short chapters of their life usually, and I accept it.

Second, I determine to be present for that chapter of their life, knowing that their story is a long one, and God has still given me the gift of being part of their story, and they a part of mine. This also means that as a church we must always embrace the opportunity to impact the lives of people who will be scattered all over the world.

Third, I prioritize the community I do have, and seek to grow that circle.

Fourth, and this is perhaps most important, I see where I live as a calling. God has placed me here, in this transient place, for a reason. There will be parts of it that I will love, and parts of it that will be hard, and fall under the category of participating in the "fellowship of his sufferings". But none of it will fall outside his calling of me to be his presence, right now, in this very transient, and amazing, and fractured city, and to use my resources, gifts, experiences, and abilities to follow Him in mission.

1 comment: