Sunday, November 29, 2009

On Jordan's stormy banks I stand

Is how I should be approaching Advent, knowing that "Chilling winds nor pois'nous breath... sickness, sorrow, pain and death are felt and feared no more," because I'm bound for Promised Land. Promised Land that is after holiday craziness, final projects and papers in classes, finishing up three more weeks of school.
I used to love, love this time of year- more for the magic of it, believing in Santa (until I was 12!), and feeling the warmth of Jesus. Now, I'm withdrawn from the materialism and hype of it all, trying to get back into the daily reflection of Advent.
I want to be like Mary and say, "God, do what you want with me," surrender everything. I don't know what He wants me to do. My cousins asked me, "Meg, are you going to stay here for a while, in California? What does your family think?" My answer didn't really do it justice, but yes, I feel like I'm here for a reason, even though there's lack of quiet and space, sometimes sunshine, and cool nights without central heating.
It may be because there's a mom sitting next to me whose kids I have in my class at church. Or because I can feel known by my community. Or because being with my best friend or eleven year olds makes my stomach hurt from laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment