Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Calming presence

Never before in my life have I been called CALM. I may bring a positive energy to a particular situation, but I'm never actually the source of peace. Today, I was called calm, granted by an ED teacher himself, but he said that my friend Kate and I were unflappable, that no matter what was going on, we didn't react. When kids threatened us with scissors, screamed "F--- you you mother-f---ers," cheated at Pass-the-Pigs, said "You asking the wrong kid...," laid on the floor refusing to do work, or acted like dogs getting a treat if they did the right thing, I haven't lost my cool. Sometimes I stifle a giggle because I don't know how to react when Maliq tells me his middle name is "Don't mess with me" or "Rocky" or I almost lose my composure when this six-year-old shares his potato chips with me everyday even though he earned them, I didn't. How can someone with such a hard life be so generous?
I'm learning so much, I don't even know where to begin. Every day I count write a book, I really could. I don't know how this is shaping me, I'm in the throws of it, but I know that I won't even approach education in the city the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment