Sunday, July 4, 2010

Rainbow Chips

The last three fourth of Julys in San Francisco have been anti-climactic in ways... Tumultuous relationships, roof-climbing parties, nose piercings and tattoos (my friend Maggie's, not my own). Foggy cloud cover and time spent outside on porches or roofs with close friends.
This year, I'm scrambling to finish summer school, paint a fairy mural, write two papers, spend four more days with emotionally disturbed kids, dote on a golden retriever, and get ready for Africa. I feel superhuman some days- I just need to get through the day, breathe in, breathe out, do my best, love other people well, take care of myself.
It's like the Funfetti cupcakes with the rainbow chip frosting. I'm trying to buy both the icing and the cake mix from Pillsbury, but really for the cupcakes to be good, I need the rainbow chip frosting. I'm resisting it at first, because I already have the Pillsbury frosting, and Betty Crocker icing isn't even found at Walgreen's. But, when I do find it, with the support of my good friends, I realize that it was worth it to wait and find the right one. Even though I just want to make the cupcakes and get them to a middle schooler for his birthday.
That's how I'm feeling about everything right now. I have the Pillsbury frosting, and I just need to find the rainbow chip Betty Crocker one to finish off my cake.

1 comment: