Saturday, February 28, 2009

GL-inda

I dressed up as Glinda for Halloween this past year... thinking that of course, it was a nice and friendly image to portray to six-year olds. I had seen Wicked and I knew of Glinda's duality and hidden motives. Somehow seeing the Broadway production the other night made me feel like I can easily embody her character. I want everyone to think of me as the "Good witch", popular, and the one who the charming male lead falls for. I find myself wondering how much of her people-pleasing tendencies do I possess, I want to be that person that encourages others, often disregarding the truth.
I would much rather be Elphaba, green skin and all, confident in herself and her capabilities despite her circumstance. Nothing can bring her down. Glinda can't cope with her friend's exuding confidence, all she can must is "I hope you're happy." When push comes to shove, she can't stand up for her friend and admit their friendship, she would rather become the public figure for Oz to bring people together in the midst of tragedy.
Do I want to be the artist, teacher, hipster/bohemian, City-Church goer that I've become since moving to the city? Does it matter that I won't always fit in, my green skin brightly emanating?
Why didn't I feel comfortable in the financial district during daylight hours, why don't I thrive in the Mission late at night? I want to be noticed, yet at the same time blend in. I want to be known at my school, yet it's hard for me to walk to school each day and be greeted like a celebrity by six-year-olds.
All I can hope for is to somehow defy gravity with the same fervor as Elphaba pronounces:

So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky!
As someone told me lately:
"Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly!"
And if I'm flying solo,
At least I'm flying free.
To those who'd ground me,
Take a message back from me:
Tell them how I am
Defying gravity!
I'm flying high,
Defying gravity!
And soon I'll match them in renown.
And nobody in, all of Oz.
No Wizard that there is or was.
Is ever gonna bring me down

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog. Your honesty is really heart-warming.

    ReplyDelete