Sunday, May 1, 2011

Film fest

Here it is, my fourth! film festival since being in SF. Hard to believe that two years ago I saw 500 Days of Summer before it became big or witnessed American Teen with my friend Pryor that solidified my commitment to the big screen.
I picked the movies this year before I saw the members' preview. Knowing that was a gamble, I did it anyways, trusting my instincts, and they paid off. So far, I've loved all of the movies I've seen for different reasons:

The Whistleblower, for attacking the difficult topic of sex-trafficking
The Future, for the cat's narration and paws
Life, Above All, for the realistic portrayal of AIDS in Africa
Page One: The New York Times, for showing the behind the scenes of a major journal
and tonight,
Terri with John C. Reilly in attendance, for demonstrating an understanding of the difficulties of teenhood

Today felt like one of those days where I wanted to crawl back into bed- from the minute I woke up and found out that my teaching credential status had been posted online (I'm credentialed! and passed PACT!), to getting anxious about parallel parking, to leaving messages for everyone I wanted to talk to. I woke up from my nap, showered, eager to go to the film festival and make the pilgrimage to the Sundance Kabuki once more. I wanted to enter another world, where I could feel like I had made it, where I could lose myself in a story line, and become surrounded with other cinephiles.

Two more to go- Incendies and American Teacher, to escape to before the festival is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment